Wednesday 10 February 2010

Weight Loss Wednesday


Quick update on Rosey Little Things Weight Loss Wednesday.  Managed to lose another pound and have been using the air walker for 10-20mins a day.  It is getting a bit easier now so plan to increase my time on it next week.

My main problem that I need to address is making sure I plan my meals and shop accordingly.  Lately I keep finding myself wondering what to have at the last minute and everything I need being frozen!  Not good, a few meals have ended up being hot cereal, not good for my 5 a day!

Did any of you catch the new chinese cooking programme Chinese Food In Minutes over on Channel Five last night which had 3 really quick stir fries that took no more than 10mins.  Now that is the sort of cooking I need to be doing and I love chillies and garlic which they use in nearly all of their dishes. 

Below is their recipe for the an old favourite of mine, chicken in black bean sauce.  I purchased a rice maker recently and in the time it takes to cook the rice any one of these dishes would be done!


Serves 2 as a main or 4 to share
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook in: 5 minutes

I adore fermented black beans and this is one of my favourite easy suppers. I add a touch of a good-quality yellow bean sauce for a savoury mellow edge to the dish.

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon groundnut oil
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated root ginger
1 medium red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 bird’s eye chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 tablespoon fermented salted black beans, washed and crushed
1 tablespoon yellow bean paste
450g/1lb skinless chicken breast, sliced
1 tablespoon Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
2 green peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
200ml/7 fl oz vegetable stock
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
steamed jasmine rice or egg-fried rice to serve

METHOD:
1. Heat a wok over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. When the oil starts to smoke, add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add the fermented black beans and yellow bean paste and stir quickly.
2. Add the chicken slices and stir-fry for 1 minute, keeping the ingredients moving in the wok. As the meat starts to turn opaque, add the rice wine or sherry.
3. Add the green peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the stock and bring to the boil. Season with the soy sauce, then add the blended cornflour and stir to thicken. Serve with jasmine rice or egg-fried rice
.

 They have all the recipes on their website along with cooking and ingredient tips.  There is also a free online competition for a trip to China for 2 people.

Off to pay a visit to the other lovely WLW members.  Thanks for popping by.

7 comments:

  1. Another 1lb gone - well done!! The only trouble with weight watching is having to plan ahead - you always seem to be thinking about food!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on another pound lost. Thanks for the recipe it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the weight loss :) Thank you for the QVC tip, I bought the hand held rotary cutters. Did you get anything?
    Morwenna xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that happens to me to. When I don't plan, I end up eating....yucky food like boxed dinners or peanut butter and jelly and chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on this weeks weight loss.

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx