Monday 10 May 2010

Passementerie

My oh my it's been a long time since I've written anything!  This time of year I just love and have been enjoying the lovely spring sunshine and all the lovely blossom that has come out as a result.  Did manage to have a play with making some ribbon roses out of wired ribbon.  I was watching a new craft show on QVC with the owner of V V Rouleaux who many of us bloggers out there will remember from her appearance on Kirsty's Homemade Christmas.  Annabel has been running her ribbons and trims business since 1990 and you can see more about her and her products here.
Passementerie is the art of making elaborate trimmings or edgings (in French, passements) of applied braid, gold or silver cord, embroidery, colored silk, or beads for clothing or furnishings.  Passementerie worked in white linen thread is the origin of bobbin lace, and passement is an early French word for lace.  Modern Passementerie includes the gold braid on military dress uniforms, the elaborate trims used on some lampshades and draperies, and for decorating couture clothing and wedding gowns.  Gosh I've gone all studious!
So after that little history lesson back to my little roses.  Here they all are bunched together out in the sunshine, looking quite elegant I think.  I had some oddments of ivory organza and cream jacquard wire edged ribbon perfect to practice with and not worry too much if i messed up!
Not so keen on the heavy jacquard ones but it was only for practice so not that bothered.

My favourite is the organza one with both wires left in.  The other organza rose is made in the same way but I removed one the wires and frayed the edges for a more diffused look.  The organza ones look lovely against my ivory lampshades.
These are so quick and easy to make as there is absolutely no sewing involved.  For those who haven't done these before you just cut your length of ribbon, around 1.5 metres is enough for big roses .  You then pull one of the wires through a little bit then wrap it around the corner of the ribbon to secure.  Next go to the opposite end of your length and on the same strip of wire ruche the ribbon all the way down the wire then wrap the wire around the corner to secure and cut off excess.  Then just roll the ruched ribbon to make your rose, I just hot glued the base of the ribbon as I went around to keep it all in place.

2 comments:

  1. These look fab, well done you!

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fab! I have some wired ribbon and have been wondering for ages what to do with it - thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx