Saturday 18 June 2011

A Little Bit of Sewing

So, last weekend it was all about the paint.  This weekend it was all about the zippers.  I had got it into my head during the week, you know when you are sat at your desk thinking about the stuff you'd like to be doing if you didn't have to be at work.  Or is that just me?  I wanted to make something with a zip in it.  My trusty little Brother sewing machine is now permanently out in my craft room and I was itching to get stitching (excuse the pun!).
After a minor setback of not having a zipper foot then dragging my poor mum to Dunelms.  Where I have to say we were very dissappointed, half of their fabric section has gone, and coming home empty handed only to find that I infact did have a zipper foot already.  Sorry mum!  Turns out in one of my organisation frenzies I had stored all the bits and bobs that came with my machine in an easy to see into clear box, but, said box was hidden away from view, oopsy!  
After a little play with all the feet and testing on some scraps I was ready to go.  And these were the end result.
I wanted some applique on the front of them and for that I used the above equipment.  My Sizzix Bigz flower die and Crafters Companion stick & spray.  I love using Sizzix dies as they cut practically anything including upto 8 layers of fabric at a time.  The stick & spray is repositionable glue for fabric and is really light so doesn't show through your lightweight fabrics.
The stick & spray holds your applique in place whilst you stitch it on the machine.  As you can see my applique stitching skills are definitely up for improvement!  It's really tricky, I think it would be easier if I had one of those machines that can keep the needle in the down position whenever you stop sewing.
I lined the bags so they are just as pretty on the inside and are the perfect place to store my Cath Kidston mini toiletries, a recent ebay purchase.  After getting some of these for my nan for mother's day we are all now hooked, the texture is gorgeous and doesn't leave any greasy residue.  Much better than we were expecting if I'm honest.
This neutral one is destined for my mum to keep her hair clips in on her dressing table.  I've added a zipper pull with beads on and some cabouchons to her flowers coz she is a very special lady.  Who else would go all over the place at a moments notice to help you find something for your latest craze!  Mums that's who.
I've got a feeling mine and my families houses are going to be filled with zippered bags of all shapes and sizes as I am well and truly hooked on the zipper effect!  Hope you are having a lovely weekend, and thanks for popping by my little blog. Lolo xx

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by, I love to read everyone's comments and always try to respond to them. xx